Sunday, March 29, 2020

The First with Promise

Sanctify unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of mine and of beast: it is mine.   Exodus 13:2


Set apart.  Called for a specific purpose by God, Jehovah himself.

God has called Israel, the least of all the nations of the earth, to be His own specially chosen people.

Go forward to the book of Exodus and God now calls all the firstborn of man and beast to be His very own.  Does the Almighty  have a special plan for them?  Yes.  Which begs me to question, "Does God have a special plan for me."

Being the firstborn of my family I have long since set the example of obedience and leadership to my younger siblings.  When I was reckless they saw it and did so themselves.  When I was kind and respectful to others and our parents, so to were they.  Most of the time I was on my best behavior.
Now as I have gotten older and had a family of my own, my firstborn, a daughter, was a constant presence at my side. My every move was closely scrutinized and imitated.  Sometimes with humorous results.  The change from being an example to the example was greater than I could have imagined.


"For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end."  (Jeremiah 29:11)


What does God have planned for such a person?  Are they to become a great visionary?  The doctor who cures cancer? An ambassador, or great ruler?  Only God knows.  There have been moments within my days that I wonder and ask God "What are your thoughts and plans for me?"
Growing up my aim was to just be a good son and an example to those around me.  The neighborhood I grew up in was full of adults that I looked up to.  Yet, I never knew was it because of who they were or who God was to them?  Truth be told, I emulated the adults outside of the church more than the ones within the church.  My spirituality was very minimal.  I had no idea.

Over the years I have come to know that God can use anyone to fulfill His plan in our lives, both believers and non-believers.  But the firstborn, called out especially by God, holds greater significance.  The firstborn sets the example and is the pattern by which those who follow, are measured by. 
Giving God the first of our day before we do anything, sets us up for the rest of the day.  We can pray, listen and expect God to do something great. That, as we read in Jeremiah 29:11 is the expected end. 
Souls for His kingdom is the expected end.
Taking the gospel message to all the world.
 




















No comments:

Post a Comment