Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Muse--Part One (verb)

Sometimes, within myself, I wonder if it is worth the effort to read scripture? Continue on, don't judge me yet. A good part of my day is spent sharing the gospel and bible with several coworkers.
In the beginning of all this, there was an excitement and unabashed joy. "Wow, they really want to know the truth."
Now my days are filled with trying to show them the gospel message.  (i.e.) they are continually watching me and every time I stub my toe or get angry, there they be like vultures in the desert circling a carcass. Today was an especially bad day. No matter how much praying I did and forgiveness asking, I could not break the stronghold the enemy had over me. I don't go to work seeking confrontation or debate. Yet, they all know that I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ.

THEY PUSH MY BUTTONS. 

Two things come to mind, one a scripture, the other a saying. Let us start with the scripture.  Matthew 7:6 (in part) says "do not cast your pearls before swine."  Can I look at these people I share Jesus with, and call them swine when the ridicule me? Yes. But, am I justified by doing so? No, I am not.  Now, for the other shoe to drop, the saying.  As long as there is breath in my body and theirs, I must continue to pray for them and of course share the message of salvation. Why are these supposed seekers of truth more apt to criticize my failures as a 'religious person' than they are to accept the truth of Jesus Christ and God's love for them?
Now, back to my opening statement.  From time to time I do get stumped and confused when reading the bible.  Who does not?  (Obviously that question is posed to readers of the bible.)  In my humanity I want to walk away from all the naysayers of the bible and how they perceive the True God.  Why accept the mocking and ridicule?  Why not let those ignorant of the truth remain ignorant?  They seem to think they have the answers to life and death.  Why waist the time and energy trying to persuade them?  Jesus spoke to all who wanted to hear Him.  Jesus also healed everyone who came to Him.  No exceptions
When I ponder the necessity of the Holy Scriptures then I need to check my relationship with God.  As a born again believer, I should be finding inspiration in God's word.  There are many examples of godly people contained in the scriptures being inspired by the Spirit of God to continue on and walk by faith, despite much opposition.  So should I.  Let me close with some words from the apostle Paul as found in Second Corinthians 4: 8-11.

We are troubled on every side, 
yet not distressed; we are
perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted, but not forsaken;
cast down, but not destroyed;
Always bearing about in the body
the dying of the Lord Jesus,
that the life also of Jesus might be 
made manifest in our body.
For we which live are
always delivered unto death
for Jesus' sake, that the
life also of Jesus might be
made manifest in our mortal flesh.
 
I should take great joy in what I am going through, (it is for His glory and His kingdom), yet unless I take great joy in reading the scriptures, then I shall be pressed in and counted out.      

No comments:

Post a Comment