Friday, January 31, 2014

A 'Lost' Generation

All I could see last night was a sea of people, literally.  Granted I was in the mall and waiting for the first evening run, but it was without a doubt, as I said, as sea of people.  

I cannot recall that many people being in the mall at one time on any given day other than holiday shopping.  The restaurants were full of people, even across the parking lot McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell and the Chinese restaurants were all filled with people.  
Despite the bustling activity and noise of laughter and conversations, I found No joy in what I was seeing as friends and family caroused the mall.  

Matthew 23:37 (as Jesus ponders the fate of Jerusalem) "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her!  How often I wanted to gather your children, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."  

How many times have I walked this mall and not felt anything for the people around me?  How many times have I just looked the other way?  
Jesus saw the condition of the people in Jerusalem as the Passover celebration drew near.  It caused his heart to ache with much sorrow.  Why?  Many will attend the feast of Passover not all are covered by the blood.  Jesus so wanted to reach all of these people and yet He knew not all would accept what He had to say.  Israel had the writings of Moses and the prophets to teach them of God's divine plan, but they would not embrace all of what was said by Jesus as He fulfilled the words they grew up learning.

As I look at the faces of babies, kids, young adults and older persons I cannot help but experience the same sorrow that Jesus felt over Jerusalem.  Have they been told abut Jesus?  Do they know that they are lost and in need of salvation?   How many are celebrating life and friends and family and not know that the Lamb is returning soon?  Matthew 24:37 (Jesus speaking on His second coming) "Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place."  How many have heard the truth and rejected it?  

What am I doing other than blogging about it? (Silence)
For years I have heard 'generational' terms like the greatest generation, generation x, the tech generation and countless others.  But the 'lost generation' spans the ages because all of us are dead spiritually.  It is the lost ness of our soul that needs the biggest headline.  Reread the words of Christ in Matthew 24:37 "this generation".  Not hard to figure out who they are.  You, me and all who have sojourned this planet until He comes back to call the believers home to heaven.  
Whatever generation is here when Jesus returns will experience a greater loss when they realize they have been left behind and missed out on finding eternal salvation.  


No comments:

Post a Comment