Friday, August 17, 2012

Your Arms Are Too Short to Box with God

Amazing what comes into your mind when one is thinking about nothing.  For a couple of months, at least, I have had this title running through my mind.  This is the title of a Broadway play from the mid to late '70s.  Although I never had the chance to see it, I often wondered what it was about.  At the time it was running I had to have been about 6 or 7 years old.  So before I started this entry I did a little research and discovered it was based on the book of Matthew.  Now, having read the gospel of Matthew it is easy to see the correlation.  But, it also brings to mind, which side of the argument does one look to to see the reason for the title?  Would I be wrong if I chose to see it from the side of the one coming against God's plan?  Or do I go the normal route and see it from the believers point of view?  I believe the LORD would have us to look at it from all angles so we can have a true perspective and make the correct decision of yes or no.

Let me ask you, how does someone try to box with God?  This is an effort in futility.  If you can pick a phrase that would make it sound more of a waste of time, feel free to do so.

Thinking about the gospel of Matthew and my life in its current state, I am in the ring not really knowing what to do next.  Do I look to my trainer and ask him to throw in the towel?  Before the bout starts?  Do I check the medical supplies and pray that there are enough bandages to cover the wounds and bruises that are sure to come?  Maybe the  towel man should buy out the hardware store and stock up on buckets?  Surely this is going to be an eviscerating event!! 

Thinking about the title, I could see that it applies to all of us (humanity) whether we read the bible or not, whether we know or recognize God at all.  All efforts to persuade God to see it from "our point of view" have led to many a people regretting the decision. 

Isaiah 55:6-9 says,  (v.6)"Seek the LORD while he may be found, call upon him while he is near:  (v.7)Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and he will return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.  (v.8)For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. (v.9)  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."  This is spoken to the unbelievers.

Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
 This is a word for God's chosen.

In everything I do, I must first seek God and in all actuality get his permission.  Secondly, I must, must wait for an answer.  The sparring match begins when I put my needs and desires before what God deems best for me and I refuse to consider HIS ways.  It is like two fighters before a match with one trying to intimidate the other by talking trash.  Trash talking will only get you/me so far.   Too bad more of us born again believers don't heed the warning of Jesus when he said (paraphrased), "before taking on any projects first see if we are able to do so and count the costs, otherwise we may find ourselves a bit short." 

During my day I have seen many fights and a lot of them have been sooo one sided, that it made me wonder, why did they go through with it?  They had no chance whatsoever to win this fight.  Would I have had a better chance against Mohamed Ali?  Or Sugar Ray Leonard?  Mike Tyson?  George Foreman?   You betcha.  But because of pride mankind often does the foolish thing.  Looking at the defeated foe after the massacre, I can say I too have felt that way after going against God.  Once in the ring it is put up or shut up.  Too bad I had not realized before the bell rung, and I got my bell rung, that 'my arms were too short to box with God.' 


        

No comments:

Post a Comment