Friday, November 22, 2013

Just before I start work

I look out at the trees and literally see their nakedness.  They are without the natural covering God provided for them, leaves and the birds who often times inhabits them.  Some of the trees are still green with color and others are dark and pale.  It is a stark contrast to all of the houses that now for the background where before the trees hid them. 

As I sit here and type this blog my mind goes to the Old Testament story of Noah and his sons after the flood.  Most notably Ham the middle son.  Noah had gotten drunk and was passed out naked in his tent.  Ham went into the tent and saw his fathers condition and told his two brothers what he saw.  How Ham told this to his brothers does not require a lot of imagination.  He probably made a joke or two and really put down his dad.  Well, Shem and Japheth took exception to this went in and covered their father before anything else happened. 

Point #1.  Being born again I am covered by the blood of Jesus.  My nakedness is seen when I step out from under the covering God has graciously provided for me.  It's not a physical nakedness but spiritual nakedness.  I become like Ham and consort with my flesh and do the wrong thing.  How often have I seen and said something regarding another person and not offered or attempted to offer them a covering?  Ham could have covered his father and kept his mouth closed and none would have been the wiser.  But...he chose the lesser.  As a result of his decision, a curse was placed on Ham's descendants.  

Point #2.  Even though Ham saw the nakedness of his father, the greater sin was how he reacted to all that transpired in those few moments and forever caused his family line to become servants to his two brothers family lines.  

When we do shameful acts as children of Light, we cause others to see our Father in a compromised way.  As a result we lose a blessing and suffer the effects of a curse.  Now, we become the servants of our flesh which goes against the Spirit of God.  
Did Ham seek forgiveness for his actions?  I don't know.  Read the story in Genesis 9 and let me know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment