Thursday, February 20, 2014

Two mediums

I don't know if one can still call book reading a medium today, with the advent of tablets, smartphones and other electronic devices that are rendering them virtually non existent.  I on the other hand LOVE the printed word, the book bound word.  I on the other hand am not a Barnes & Noble fan (as I spit on the ground).

VIVA LA WALDENBOOKS!!!!!!!

This is a position I will hold f o r e v e r.  A n d e v e r.  A n d e v e r.
I have tried reading books on my laptop, iphone and other devices.  I feel nothing.  Yet, when I have a book in my hand...haha...I can almost feel the emotional roller coaster of the author as I hold it.  Somehow I am transported to that time and place in which thought became a reality and found its way onto the pages.  Believe me when I say I have read thousands of books across many literary platforms and genres. Science fiction is in my top 3 ( anything Star Trek baby), as is, fiction (which covers many books) and of course the classics.  I will not buy a book just to buy it, but the books I do buy I read multiple times.  

Here is a short list of some of the books I have read, not in order of importance.  
1. The Oedipus Trilogy
2. Lysistrata (probably the funniest book I ever read)
3. A Walk to Remember
4. The Outsiders
5. The Left Behind series (prequel and sequels)
6. Jonathan Livingston Seagull
7. The Cat in the Hat
8. A Boy Called It (never finished, could not get past first chapter)
9. Star Trek (almost all of them)
10. Old Man and the Sea
11. Of Mice and Men (more on this on later)
12. Black Boy (second funniest book I ever read)
13. Native Son
14. Jane Austen (most of them)
15. A few biographies (Lincoln, Washington, M. Albright, Hamilton)
16. War and Peace
17. Withering Heights
18. Charles Spurgeon biography
19. The Notebook
20. Hamlet
21. Tom Sawyer
22.  House of the Seven Gables (THE Great American novel)
Ya get the hint.  

Now, I would like to present a second list of books that are even more special to me.  Why?  These books have made me cry.  Sniff, sniff.  Once again no particular order.
1. The Outsiders
2. A Boy Called It
3. Through Gates of Splendor (current read)
4. A Walk to Remember
5. Of Mice and Men (probably the first) 
That's it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment