Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fire--Part 1

Hebrews 12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.



This is the space I go to when I get to work and I sometimes have a few minutes before I start my workday.  



                                  
               
                                                         (You're in my spot)

Most of the time I pull out my bible and read a couple of scriptures from the Psalms or pray that my attitude and work be pleasing to Him and that I have an opportunity to share Jesus with someone.  
Today, I am looking out at this:   



                                 

You probably cannot tell from the picture but there is a light snowfall coming down.  I sit here and marvel at the amount of snow we have gotten which is not much compared to other cities, and how NO two snowflakes are alike.  From my human perspective it all looks the same.  Not so with God however.  
    

On the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2, the followers of Jesus were gathered together in the upper room waiting for the Promise of the Father.  As these men and women fasted and prayed it says 
V.2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
V.3 then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
V.4 and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 

This fire was the Holy Spirit.  The very essence and power of God coming down from heaven to fill (consume) His people for a specific task...to carry out the Great Commission.  This fire allowed them to speak boldly to rulers, kings and queens, governors, soldiers and common people without fear and of course passion and the godly desire that all come to repentance and gain eternal salvation.  

As the snow slowly cascades to the earth, I am reminded of the Paul Wilbur song "Let Your Fire Fall".
Here's a sample, well, verse. 

Come and show Your power as in days of old
Lord, Lord let Your fire fall
Burn up the idols of wood and stone
Lord, Lord let Your fire fall

The snow is coming down harder now.  I am so glad to be inside, feeling nice and warm and protected from the elements.  
I'm warmed spiritually because of my relationship with the Father through His Son as the fire of His Holy Spirit fills me.  God has become my shelter and strong tower.  He is my defense and I shall not be moved.  One day I shall stand in the beauty of His Holiness and be forever warmed.



       
   
   






No comments:

Post a Comment