Friday, February 20, 2015

Psalm 55 and Perfect Peace

Praise God for life this morning.  Thank You Lord.

Much trouble sleeping last night, but not because of the cold.  Brrrrrrrrrr.
So as I lay awake i prayed and listened to some classical music on WVIA (the radio station)
and read my bible some.  Sometime around 3 a.m. I fell aleep only to be brought out of it by my alarm clock at 5 a.m. 

This morning has been of great comfort for me as I have come into the presence of God and worshipped Him for who He is.  

Psalm 55 was my default choice this morning because when i opened my bible, that is where my finger was.  (Let me add that is not a method i use for bible reading or study.)  As I began to read through this portion of scripture I knew that this is where the Holy Spirit wanted me to go.
David is coming to the Lord with what appears to be a heavy heart.
V1.  Give ear to my prayer, O God, and hide not yourself from my request.
V2.  Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint and make a noise;
Whoa, a heavy heart indeed.
David attributes his state of mind to the voice of the enemy and the oppression of his mind due to the enemies constant attacks.
V4a.  My heart is deeply troubled.
Have you ever felt that way?  I have. It is not fun. 
"If only I could get away from it all."  David says.  "If i had the wings of an eagle i would take off and go someplace in the wilderness and have peace and rest."  
Many times i have wanted to run and hide.  To just be by myself and away from the negative influences of life and those around me who bring me down.  But, the pain and oppression would still be within me because the enemy has not been dealt with.
What does David do?  
We read what David does in verses 16 & 17. As for me, I will call upon God, and the LORD shall save me.
Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud and He shall hear my voice.

Such confidence in the Lord.  David knows that God is not precoccupied nor away doing other things.  
God has not forgotten His child.  In the midst of personal trials, in the midst of a world in turmoil, and in the midst of people who do not fear God, David is reminded (and so are we) to do two things.
1. We are to pray (verse 16).  "I will call upon the LORD and He will save me."
2. Trust God (verse 22).  "Cast your burden on the LORD and He shall sustain you; He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
Let God deal with the wicked and slothful man.  Let God handle the day-to-day affairs of our lives.  He already knows what is going to happen, right?  Yes.
            
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before reading Psalm 55, i opened my hymnal and sang (quite off-key i may add) the song 
Peace, Perfect Peace.  There are only 5 verses and no chorus so i will include the whole song.

1. Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin?  
    the blood of Jesus whispers peace within.
2. Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round?
    On Jesus' bosom naught but calm is found.
3. Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown?
    Jesus we know and He is on the throne.
4. Peace, perfect peace, death shadowing us and ours?
    Jesus has vanquished death and all its powers.
5. It is enough: earth's struggles soon shall cease,
    and Jesus, call us to heaven's perfect peace.  Amen. 

I love how the writer phrases the verses as questions of doubt.  Yet, in the following line, the answer can be found IN JESUS.  

I pray that you find your perfect peace in Jesus today and everyday.  
God bless.













No comments:

Post a Comment