Friday, February 6, 2015

Wait

Wait.

This is not something we humans like to do.

This was my mother's favorite word to me, i.e., before opening birthday presents, Christmas presents, and while in the toy store, candy store and supermarket.  (I listened about half the time.)  
Uncle Sam loves this word also.  There were many days i had to hurry up to get something done only to have to wait a considerable amount afterwards before the next task.  

So why wait?  Good question.

In the 16th chapter of Mark, Jesus commissions His disciples (verses 15-16) "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."  
Surely after these words and seeing Jesus, the 11 men would run like the wind.
They did not.  
Going forward to Acts 1:4 we read And being assembled togther with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me;"
Keyword--WAIT

Waiting does not inspire me nor does it become me.  As a child i never understood that if i did not wait before opening my birthday and christmas presents I would miss out on seeing the reactions of the people who gave me the gifts.  It would have been more problematic for my mom had I opened things in the candy store and supermarket.
In the Marines waiting taught me the value of being part of a team.  Individuallity does not serve anyone  well in the military.  Waiting helped me to learn how to rely on those standing beside me during training so I would never doubt them during combat.

For the apostles their waiting would produce the greatest advantage.  The Holy Spirit.
Without the Holy Spirit none of what the apostles tried to accomplish would come to pass.  It is by the power of the Holy Spirit and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, that they could going out into the world and preaching the gospel.  
Waiting in each instance produced memorable experiences for me.  I enjoyed sharing my birthday's with my family and friends.  Uncle Sam taught me many things and took me many places, but the friendships gained and still maintained are the best. 
Waiting on the promise of the Father allowed the apostles to share in the joy of salvation with family and friends and took them many places that added many more family members to the body of Christ.
Waiting is still a  problem for me, but not much so as it used to be.  Now I just sit still and know that somewhere the Spirit of God is moving in someones heart and unless I wait, how would i know whom to go to.  

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment