Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Come Boldly

"Space: the final frontier.  These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.  Its five year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before." (TOS)

These words have been a big part of my life for the past 36, 37 years now.  I started with TOS, the original series. Then I went on to the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and then Enterprise.  Only now am I realizing that I have followed the Trek Universe straight through from the beginning of the series to the end of Enterprise.  Not many can say that.  WOW!!!

Star Trek has always fascinated me.  It spoke of a 'hope' for the future of mankind that few, if any other shows ever talked about.  Plus it was sci-fi.  Not exactly the norm back in the day. 
As I read the opening monologue of the series I am struck by mankind's desire to venture out into the heavens and explore the unknown galaxies around them.  They trained and prepared themselves for years on end to go boldly into the great unknown, for years on end.  One of the great characteristics I have seen in regards to the Trek world is the willingness to carry on with their overall mission, despite great losses and sacrifices to themselves and others around them. 
If I may boldly say myself, star trek follows one of the creeds of our Christian walk.  That is despite the trials and tribulations we experience in our walk with the Lord, we are to carry on.
Whenever the Enterprise found itself in an unenviable position and all hope appears lost, the crew looked to the captain of the ship for hope.  More times than not, Captain's Kirk, Picard, Cisco, Janeway and Archer had one more trick in their bag and came through.  However, at times, someone lost their life during the crisis that caused the others to rally around the lost shipmate..  Having an able and willing captain in the big chair who has experienced some of things they have not gives those who serve with him/her a good deal of confidence. 
As a follower of Jesus Christ, I have at times and I am sure you too, experienced things that I did not know how to handle or see a way of escape.  But as the scriptures say in Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in the time of need."  If we do not look to Jesus then we literally have no hope.
I do not live on a starship, someways off into the distant future I suppose, yet I do have a captain (Hebrews 2:10) who has experienced a great deal more than all the starship captains in the trek world and I have confidence in Him and His ability to get me through anything.  

Star Trek for me, growing up, was an escape from the world I was growing up in.  My life was not horrible by any means, but the sinful nature of mankind and its eventual path to judgment was not appealing to me.  Star Trek gave me a 'unrealistic' hope for humanity.  Jesus is the 'realistic' hope for humanity.  His death on the Cross at Calvary was the means of turning my thinking from the unknown to the known.  (Add paragraph)
I had not planned on doing this but it seemed appropriate.
Hebrews 2:10, "For it was fitting for Him (Jesus), for whom are all things and by whom are all things (you, me and everything around us), in bringing many sons to glory(redemption and salvation), to make the captain of their salvation perfect though suffering."
The suffering in the world around me drove me to the Cross.  The sufferings in the world of Star Trek caused mankind to eradicate many things that plague our world today and pushed them to greater heights.  The pettiness that defined many areas of their flesh no longer feeds the desires of those in the Star Trek lore.  We however, cannot reach such heights of human achievement without Jesus.  (Read Genesis 11
Our own human nature will not allow us.  
Mankind seeks its own will but I will seek the will of the One who created me and come boldly into His presence and rely on Him to guide me through the stars not anything manmade.  If God is guiding me then I am on my way to glory via the rapture or death.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment