Friday, October 23, 2015

Be Still, My Soul--2

One day while looking for something to do I turned on the radio and listened to the announcer as he finished a short on the life of Eric Liddell.  Forgive me because the name did not ring an immediate bell. 
In closing, the radio personality mentioned the movie Chariots of Fire, then recognition set in.

This dummy (me), pulled up on his smart phone the wikipedia on Eric Liddell.  Several minutes and a few tears later I had finished the miniture byline on Eric Henry Liddell.  I was speechless.  
His life was one of total devotion and commitment to his God.  His death, if i may say, started me on this present journey. 

(Please bear with me as I try to put my thoughts down.  I am feeling the emotions of the moment.)

Eric Liddell was in a Japanese internment camp when he died.  Mr. Liddell died of a brain tumor.  
Hours before he passed over into glory, he passed a note to a nurse in the hospital to pass along to the band playing outside in the yard.  Eric Liddell requested that they play the song Be Still, My Soul.
Having never heard of it, i pulled my hymnal and suprise, suprise it was there listed, at #16.  All of you will notice that as the opening post to this series of blogs i am working on now. 

Between 3-4 hours after the playing of this song Eric Henry Liddell slipped into a coma and passed away.  He was 43 years old.  From that moment on i have been on a mission to find a more comprehensive book on his life.  
As i read the scriptures i notice that once a person surrenders their life to God and commit to doing His will, an unshakeable peace fills them.  More often than not, our enemy Satan comes along during our weak seasons and brings with him turmoil and unrest.  During those times we can draw strength from the One who lives within us, knows us and cares for us and find peace and rest from all of our circumstances.  
Eric Liddell may or may not have known he was about to die.  But despite the conditions in which he found himself in and the harsh realities of life at that moment, he still knew whom his God was and  
found peace.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment