Sunday, September 7, 2014

Hold Fast

Battles are being fought everyday.  It seems as if there is a new 'hot spot' everyday.  There is no need to get into all of that because we all get the news in some format.  However, the greatest battle is the one for souls.  Yours, mine and everyone else on the earth.

Job's life is about to get a great deal more complicated.  Satan has Job in his crosshairs and will put all of his efforts trying to get Job to forsake the LORD God.  Chapter 2:4 So Satan answered the LORD and said, "Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life."
Speaking with the confidence that his plan will work, Satan feels quite sure that Job will cave.  
Job is stricken with painful boils from the crown of his head to the soles of his feet.  

As far as i can tell Job has not uttered a word against God.  There were times in my life when I have questioned God as to why certain things have to happen to me, i.e. bad things.  During my times of trials and tribulations I have often discovered how shallow my faith is and how shallow I view God.  
My faith was not always the greatest.  It was based on God giving and me receiving.  So, as is endured  the chastening of God and the badgering of Satan the holes in my reasoning were exposed.  God has proven Himself to be faithful, in the days of harvest and times of famine.  Job chose to see his God in that light also.
  
Satan assumed that Job would question God about this his physical condition, but he did not.  So Satan goes to Plan B--the wife.  
Mrs. Job says "Do you still hold fast to your integrity?  Curse God and die!"
Job retorts "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks.  Shall we indeed accept good from God and shall we not accept adversity?"
Talk about your tableside discussions!  WOW!

Truth be told, Job hit the ball out of the ballpark.  Shall we accept the goodness and blessings of God without having to endure hardships and loss?  I was a loooooooong time in receiving this truth.  In the New Testament cannon we have Jesus Christ and the Cross of Calvary.  But in the Old Testament we have God.  Let me reword that.  Job, in the Old Testament, has a personal relationship with God.
That is why God said that Job was unlike any man on the earth, full of integrity and blameless and honest.  That is also why Job could rebuke his wife and call her a fool because she challenged God.

How easy it is to look at life around us and feel we have a sense of entitlement just because we are children of God.  Hey God how about no more bills, no more sickness, pain, worry, hunger, crime, drugs, alcohol and so on?  I am born again.  I am a joint heir with Christ.  Show me some love.
Me, myself and I.  (There really is nothing new under the sun.)
Job has a good report because he knew that no matter what, he did not want to be defined by his earthly possessions.  Job wanted to be defined as a man who trusted in the Most High God.  Job held fast to God and we too must do the same, in all matters of our lives, if we want God to hold fast to us.

Remember: "...in all this Job did not sin with his lips."

God bless you and have a great day.
--to be continued--
 
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment